Re: Fulcrum pin removal - clueless as usual

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fulcrum pin removal - clueless as usual
From: Bob Kitterer <bkitterer@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 21:55:12 -0800
Jim,

The fulcrum pin is Naval Bronze, read as being very hard, and at
least the early ones were plated.  With time and use the plating
flakes off and causes the threads to bind.  The first ones that I
removed would only do a 1/2 turn.  Using a solvent, like acetone, to
flush the lubricant and hopefully the particles out of the pin may
help.  Heat will not help since the bronze will expand faster than
the steel and just cause the pin to bind more.  I was most successful
using liquid nitrogen but that is not readily available and will give
you instant frost bite if you are not careful.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (Trevor, in boxes)
2000 Miata Special Edition