Re: Fulcrum pin removal - clueless as usual

To: "James Pickard" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Fulcrum pin removal - clueless as usual
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:14:48 -0600
At 10:54 PM 11/2/2006, you wrote:

>I've been battling a nearly frozen spindle.  I've tried to remove the
>fulcrum pin at the base of the kingpin without success.  I've removed the
>small pin that locks the fulcrum pin in place, and I can get it to rotate
>2-1/2 turns, but then it stops dead.  What am I doing wrong here?
>
>The good news is I've worked the spindle off the kingpin, so I may not have
>to remove the fulcrum pin after all.  Regardless, at this point I would like
>to know how it is done.

I've done the screwdriver, grind a chisel, get it hot routines.
Sometimes they work. Before you expend too much more energy, do you
have play? The only valuable check is to have the kingpin roughly
perpendicular  to the Aframe (ie, as it is in the car), and feel for
play. You may have play this way, but not when the pin is in another
position. Doesn't matter. If you do have play, then you'll be
discarding the Aframe anyway.

Oh.... how to remove the pin...... Sawzall through the corks. You'll
save the Aframe if you're careful. The pin's bad anyway. The pin is
likely stuck in the kingpin. A gentle tap with a hammer will remove
it from the kingpin. BTDT 100s of times.

Peter C