RE: Bumper cars in Portland Oregon!

To: "'Philip Jones'" <philip.s.jones@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Bumper cars in Portland Oregon!
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:01:28 -0500
Phillip,
That's nothing unusual, for my area (Pittsburgh, PA) and I've
seen/experienced it on numerous occasions, over the years.
Of course, you're right about staying in bed, under those conditions.
Even if you know how to deal with it, you have to compensate/dodge the
majority of those who DON'T know how to deal with it.
Since my business demands that I be "on site", at any time of day or
night, whatever the weather, I have a rule that I follow any time we get
some crappy weather: STAY OFF THE FRICKIN' INTERSTATES/4 LANE/LIMITED
ACCESS HIGHWAYS THAT EVERYONE ELSE FLOCKS TO!!!!
I have two reasons for this:
1.) The back roads are usually VERY lightly traveled, during winter
storms, making encounters with The Clueless Majority far less likely
and, usually, easier to avoid.
2.) The D.O.T. crews generally leave the back roads alone until they get
the "super slabs" under "control".  Since their efforts very frequently
result in (at least temporarily) MUCH more treacherous road conditions,
not to mention the greatly reduced night time visibility caused by the
salt laden road spray thrown up by traffic, driving conditions on the
back roads are much safer and easier to deal with.
Bud Osbourne