Re: Bumper cars in Portland Oregon!

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bumper cars in Portland Oregon!
From: Larry Macy <lmacy@phillymgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:13:41 -0500
One of the things I learned many moons ago, while learning to drive in
winter Wyoming, was to test the traction. Get on the street, now do
this with few cars and at low speed, and stomp the brakes. If you
stop, you got good traction, if you slide, well get off the freaking
brakes.

By doing this, you have a better idea of how far you need to stop and
IF you can stop. Sure the conditions will change through out the day,
but at least if you try this when and where you can, need to, you know
what is gonna happen.

Do they teach this in drivers school?? No!! I learned it from my dad,
who told me he learned it from his dad.

I was with a bus of college graduate students home to Arkansas from
Atlanta and hit a snow storm in Tennessee, the kid driving was from
California, spun us off the highway at 50 trying to pass a semi. The
chaperone made him get us out of the ditch. A few miles later they
asked me to drive (winter experience) and about 2 mile later, I slowed
as we had room, and announced I was gonna do this. Then did it.
Freaked most of them out. The chaperone (a faculty member) started
laughing. We got home safely driving up 71 into Fayetteville. Later I
was asked about the technique from a few of the other folks on the
bus. I explained it, and they tried it. I got a couple thanks from some.

Larry

--
Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?

believed to be clean.