Judson Supercharger

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Judson Supercharger
From: kramer.allen@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 18:54:56 +0000
Time to come out of lurk.
I have been running a 948 cc engine with the Judson Supercharger. They are
termpermental just like me.....that's probably why we get along so well. For
those that are interested below is a brief description of what I did to get the
supercharger to work.
Step 1. Rebuild a 948 cc engine.
My engine is bored .020 over and balanced. My goal was to remove the 1275 cc
engine and get my Bugeye as close to original as possible. I also had every
intension of adding the Supercharger for that period correct accessory.
Step 2. Break in.
I did not add the supercharger until after about 1000 miles were logged onto
the engine. This way I knew the engine was sorted out.
Step 3. Rebuild supercharger.
New bearings seals.
Bored out housing to clean it up. Sent housing out to have coating done to the
bore. The coating is used in the injection molding industry. The barrels of the
ram are treated with this coating so the plastics do not attach to the
surfaces. NOTE: This is not a spray on application. The deposited material has
a low coefficient of friction.
Made new vaines from Torlon.
Rebuild Holey carb
Conclusion. As a comparison. Before I started the project the bugeye had a 1275
cc engine. The 1275 cc engine had 45,000 miles on it and performed very well.
When the 948 cc engine was in the bugeye I knew the performance would drop off.
Keep in mind I knew my goal all along would be to add the supercharger.
However, I did not expect it to be as bad as it tuned out to be. The bugeye
with the stock 948 cc engine could barely get out of it's own way. After adding
the supercharger the performance definately improved. The bugeye 948 cc with
the supercharger is about as good as the 1275 cc. Also, I am not having an
overheating problem. I did change to the plastic fan blade. Also, I am not
running with an oil tank. I am adding a mixture of 1 oz. oil to 1 gal of gas
directly into the fuel tank.

Well thats my 2 cents....going back to lurking.
Allen