Re: Judson Supercharger

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Judson Supercharger
From: <bushwacker4@zoomtown.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:56:51 -0400
How obtainable are these Judson superchargers?  Are they as rare as hen's teeth
and how much do they typically run when you do find one?

The model for the spridgets (SP-1) is far more available then say the one for
an MGA or a TR-3. A rebuildable unit will run $200 - $400. A (claimed) good
condition unit will be in the $600 to $1000 range, depnding on appearance and
wear. A close to perfect unit can see $1500. George Fulchi is the master and
usually has rebuilt units available. Our own Cap't. Bob got one from him a
while back but had problems with heat and took it back.

I have one with about 11 hours on it from original. I intend to run it on my
Bugeye some day again. I used it in the early 80s when my car was an
autocrosser. It did fine for that because there really wasn't time for the heat
to build up. The carb wasn't an issue there either as it was all or nothing on
the track. Driveability is an issue with street usage of an SP-1 on a 1275 as
the carb is usually too rich or too lean throughout the power band.

I also have an MGA Judson that was designed for a 1500 cc engine. I plan to
build an intake manifold to use the compressor on my 1380. That should cure
most of the regular problems of an SP-1 on a 1275. My other plan it to use a
10cc engine block with the 2 inch mains and sleeve it down to accept stock
sized 948 pistons. Then the SP-1 will work as advertised. Supercharging is
rough on the bearings so the bigger mains will help out in the long run.

Check the archives for Judson and you should find a raft of good info. Many
postings by people who have or had Judsons. All the good and the bad can be
found there.

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1975 Midget - trailerparked queen.