Re: Judson Supercharger

To: kramer.allen@comcast.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Judson Supercharger
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:52:20 GMT
Hi, Allen....

your experience indicates your Judson
worked out as expected on a 948. Judson
promised a 40% increase in power (torque) with no change to the stock ign. adv.
curve using the prem. leaded fuels of the time which would give about 102RON
(Gulf No-Nox or Sunoco 260/280). I think they did recommend a possible switch
to a colder
spark plug but it's been so long since I've
checked their paperwork that I could
be wrong on this.

The stock 948 would get the BE to 60 in 20.0secs or so your performance seems
pretty much in the promised ballpark?

Too bad there was not a Spridget Judson
sized for the 1275. I tried the application on
a stock 1275, and overdriven for the 6psi
boost curve to the larger capacity motor the car went like hell on CAM2
"purple".

Couldn't sustain the 6psi boost curve with
the reduced diameter blower pulley though...fan belt slippage around such a
"tight" curve. And we could've used a little
less total ignition advance as well though
the rate of same was OK considering the
octane of fuel we were using.

Lacking the coatings you are using,
I figured the only way to run the Judson
with a decent ignition advance curve
and without spending bucks on racing
fuel was Torlon blades along with an
alcohol/water injection or delivery system
to be able to run the application more
economically on today's unleaded premium pump octanes.

George Folchi was supposed to go to Torlon and develop the alcohol/water system
but he never did get around to it so I returned the blower for a refund
considering it was otherwise not suitable for a 1275.

Dean Hedin reported a while back that he
could not run his Judson equipped 948 BE
in the summer. Had to disconnect the belt and run normally aspirated. Believe
he lived in Pittsburgh area where temps go to 90F+.

How warm does it get in the summer at your atbode??? What octane (either RON or
PON) are you running??

CapBob
 '60 :{)