RE: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.

To: "'Jim Juhas'" <james.f.juhas@snet.net>, "'Bill Gilroy'"
Subject: RE: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 22:35:39 -0400
Gee.  How have I managed to weld for the last 30+ years without an
auto-darkening "helmet"?  True, it was difficult, at first
(understatement).  But, with practice, I find that I can do just fine
with my old fashioned welding shield/hood/helmet, using a #8 or #9
filter, for the light sheet metal and going up to a #12 for welding P&S.
I guess I'll get around to getting one o' them new-fangled (actually,
they've been around for at least 20 years), auto-darkening, city boy
"helmets" one of these days.  It's just that other stuff, like buying
parts for my cars, keeps eating up my "mad money".
Not saying I couldn't use one, especially after I haven't welded
anything for a couple of months (it happens), and get out of practice at
striking an arc in just the place I want to start.  Yeah, one would sure
come in handy at times like those.  But, after a short while, it all
comes back to me, and I'm perfectly content with my old style hood.
BTW, I read something, recently, about guys who weld with auto-darkening
hoods having eye problems, resulting from that fraction of a second of
welding flash, before the auto-darkening takes place.  Didn't pay much
attention to it, at the time, because I don't use one.  Still, it might
be something to check out.
Bud Osbourne