Re: [Spridgets] 948 piston question

To: "Leo S" <60bugeye@cebridge.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 948 piston question
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@att.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:35:08 -0800
Hi Leo.

Ages ago I use some 1098 pistons in a 948.  Ir requires more modifications
than I considered worthwhile,  The cost savings were pretty minimal.

The piston pins are different on the 1098, they're full floating, so need to
be notched to th accept the 948 pinch bolt.  The because they have different
pin heights, the block deck needs to be lowered by maching a lot, enough so
you need to be careful the cyl head oil delivery port isn't cut into.  This
still leaves you with a pretty low compression engine.  You just about can
run it on kerosene!

In my experience, it just wasn't worth it.  Nice way to get a low
compression 1098 though!

All this discovery came as a result of getting a bunch of 1098 piston sets
at really "Give away" prices!

Hardly worth the savings in initial piston costs.

Later, Paul A

Later, Paul A