Re: [Spridgets] Mike's fuelish Bugeye

To: "crusaderchuck55@aol.com" <crusaderchuck55@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Mike's fuelish Bugeye
From: derf via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 10:07:00 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--000000000000e58af405ab315321

I had one of the black Facet pumps go out on my 1966 Mustang after about
two months in which time it had very little use.  It made the noises but
didn't deliver the goods.  I think something happened with an internal
bypass, maybe.  I replaced it with a similar pump and haven't had any
trouble since but have been using non-Ethanol gas from "the blue handle" at
the pump.
Regards,
Derf

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:46 AM crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Alrighty then! ( Ace Ventura moment!)
> I am smelling a rat in the fuel delivery system not the carb!
> First is your fuel pump set up at the tank or in the engine compartment?
>  That's a beginning.   Pumps seem to like being close to the tank pushing
> fuel as opposed to being well away from the tank and pulling fuel.
> These fuel tanks have a fixed pick up tube in them that can be a real pain
> in the posterior if anything has obstructed the tube , end of the tube
> rusted off or a tank sealer applied and glued the tube shut or tank sealer
> applied wrong & peeling off , clogging the pickup tube.   Another fun one (
> happened to my car early in my ownership!) Is the lost has cap , rag
> stuffed in the filler neck and OOPS , rag ended up in the tank!   Does
> nothing initially but eventually the electric pump sucked the tag against
> th e pickup tube , and sediment fouled the rag and it acted like a blocked
> fuel filter.  Started , ran for a bit and would quit...  That drove me
> crazy until I dropped the tank , pulled the sending unit and looks into the
> tank !
> Mike somewhere you have a restriction keeping your fuel from freely
> flowing from the pickup in the tank to feed your pump.   Possibly an
> internally collapsing rubber fuel line connecting pump to tank?   This
> ethanol fuel has done some rather odd stuff to rubber components over
> time.
> Just some thoughts which might point you in a direction of discovering
> what is wrong.
> Chuck
>
> *Sent from my LG Mobile*
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/derf247@gmail.com

--000000000000e58af405ab315321

ng after about two months in which time it had very little use.=C2=A0 It ma=
de the noises but didn&#39;t deliver the goods.=C2=A0 I think something hap=
pened with an internal bypass, maybe.=C2=A0 I replaced it with a similar pu=
mp and haven&#39;t had any trouble since but have been using non-Ethanol ga=
s from &quot;the blue handle&quot; at the pump.=C2=A0=C2=A0<div>Regards,</d=
e"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:46 AM cr=
usaderchuck55--- via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.n=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204=
,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

ntura moment!)</div><div dir=3D"auto">I am smelling a rat in the fuel deliv=
ery system not the carb!</div><div dir=3D"auto">First is your fuel pump set=
 up at the tank or in the engine compartment?=C2=A0 =C2=A0That&#39;s a begi=
nning.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Pumps seem to like being close to the tank pushing fuel =
as opposed to being well away from the tank and pulling fuel.=C2=A0 =C2=A0<=
/div><div dir=3D"auto">These fuel tanks have a fixed pick up tube in them t=
hat can be a real pain in the posterior if anything has obstructed the tube=
 , end of the tube rusted off or a tank sealer applied and glued the tube s=
hut or tank sealer applied wrong &amp; peeling off , clogging the pickup tu=
be.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Another fun one ( happened to my car early in my ownership!=
) Is the lost has cap , rag stuffed in the filler neck and OOPS , rag ended=
 up in the tank!=C2=A0 =C2=A0Does nothing initially but eventually the elec=
tric pump sucked the tag against th
 e pickup tube , and sediment fouled the rag and it acted like a blocked fu=
el filter.=C2=A0 Started , ran for a bit and would quit...=C2=A0 That drove=
 me crazy until I dropped the tank , pulled the sending unit and looks into=
 the tank !=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">Mike somewhere you ha=
ve a restriction keeping your fuel from freely flowing from the pickup in t=
he tank to feed your pump.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Possibly an internally collapsing ru=
bber fuel line connecting pump to tank?=C2=A0 =C2=A0This ethanol fuel has d=
one some rather odd stuff to rubber components over time.=C2=A0 =C2=A0</div=

ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>=C2=A0 <a=
 href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=