Re: [Spridgets] Aluminum Radiators

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Aluminum Radiators
From: John OBrien via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:34:51 -0500
Authentication-results: cox.net; auth=pass (PLAIN) smtp.auth=banjojohn@cox.net a=SjJ/LdN/tI4zR2l1/bKXtw==:117 a=SjJ/LdN/tI4zR2l1/bKXtw==:17 a=xqWC_Br6kY4A:10 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=kviXuzpPAAAA:8 a=GtIPgUTo7Vo4mGPKHK4A:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8 a=L92UAPBaZyr9_XPMk-wA:9 a=S54L0oa36B8ewRfF:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 a=qrIFiuKZe2vaD64auk6j:22

--------------0AC3C89900155622CD563204

Michael, I did succumb to the lure of using an Aluminum radiator in my
bugeye.  I had it built custom, and it was not cheap (don't recall how
much, but my wife groaned when I told her).  I was attempting to add on
a Judson Supercharger, and thought I'd need additional cooling
capacity.  I never could get the engine to run right with the Judson so
I took it off.  I have to say the aluminum radiator keeps everything
running cool, so I won't be swapping back, but everything I've read says
a copper (original material) core is the most efficient.  If your car
used to run cool, and just started having problems keeping up, you might
just take the radiator to a good old fashioned radiator shop and have it
disassembled, rodded out and flushed good.  I was having cooling issues
on my BJ8, and took my radiator to a shop and asked if they could refit
it with a higher capacity core.  He looked at it and said, "This is a
high capacity core, but it is clogged up."  after he cleaned it out, it
has been handling high temperature days, etc. just fine.   Of course the
disassembly and cleaning may cost nearly the same as one of the Chinese
aluminum radiators.

John O'Brien

'61 Bugeye (Lucy)

'65 BJ8 (Madelyn)

[...]
[...]