Re: The big Race at IRP

To: donato1@netusa1.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The big Race at IRP
From: NeotoyRick@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:18:02 EDT
In a message dated 10/11/99 4:11:53 PM, donato1@netusa1.net writes:

<< To All TT members who were at IRP or not
      I am requesting all feedback on the group 2-3-8 race and its concept.
 I have been asked by the some of the BOD's to get the info on what the
people thought.  Would you do it again ? Did you have fun ? Would you run
it if we made it a 3-event thing, kinda like the anti-pasto thing they do ?
What could we do to make it better ? And so on
So here is yet another chance for our voice to be heard all the way to the
top.
AND
To all who helped out through our wet weekend  THANK YOU for everything
!!!!!!!
Jim (Elmo) D >>

Elmo:
Hey after 2 days of rain and seven sessions missed (Arghhhh!) I was real
ready to race!

Regarding the 2,3, 8 race, a bunch of racers expressed concern over the total
number of cars on the track at one time, potentially 65+.  It didn't matter
when we got rained out - no one was on the track.  But the full pack was a
lot of cars out there.  It seemed a bit short staffed at IRP, probably due to
the SCCA Runoffs being the same weekend.  The workers did their best, but the
reality kicked in for me in the last laps of the race, when cars started
breaking, crashing and generally pulling off for whatever reason and the
yellow flags were all around.  Bottom line was, the number of cars out there
was fine (IMHO) and added a lot of interest and diversity to the mix you got
to play with.

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but the concept of the lottery start, while
novel, didn't really seem to work, as no one stuck to it.  The slower cars
who drew up front positions were uncomfortable and traded places with the hot
shoes  (Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should start where they are
comfortable and if you want to go out back of the pack, fine).  Other "fast
guys" who got a low number whined on the grid and were moved up.  I drew 30th
and had fun starting mid pack.  Always wondered how I'd do against those Z
cars.  So the start was a real wild west land rush.  Yee hah!  Good thing its
a WIDE (dry!) dragstrip and a fast Turn One.

A few quick thoughts on how to make a good race even greater:
Make it the Ultimate Small Bore Shootout: Group 2 vs Group 8.  Each group
gets "points" for the car's finishing position of, say, the top 15 - 20 cars
of each group (in case there are twice as many cars in one group over the
other at an event) or 1/2 the Group's cars entered.  Low score wins.  And, of
course, some kind of factor for "participation" which is the name of the game
at VSCDA.  Keep up on the moving score at Thicko.com or VSCDA.org.
No trophies, just for fun, so no one gets any more jacked over the prospect
of "winning" something and does something stupid.  Perhaps some wacky
"recognition" Awards or People's Choice (or Corner Worker's Choice) for the
race and the series.  Fun opportunity for Shootout hats and T Shirts.  We
could make a tote board like the Jerry Lewis Telethon.  Stop me anytime.

Monoposto, Vee and even Mini / Sprite have had fun series.  Its an
inspiration to "get out there" when the team needs you.  There could be some
fun alliances and rivalries that surface:  356 and Sprite vs Lotus & Alfa for
example.  Mini vs Mini - huh? (there are Minis in Group 2 and Group 8)

I agree with Uncle Jack that it can be a bit scary when a car is passing you
at about 100mph faster than you are going.  Many racers do not want to be
thrown in with cars that have a huge potential speed differential, they want
to make that choice as in opting to run an Enduro.  However one time that did
work:  The reverse / handicap race at Blackhawk Classic last year.  When the
356's were moved into Group 6 we gave the Ground Pounders a real run for
their money at a short twisty course like BFR (without a dragstrip).  Could
be a fun part of a series, especially when you can't have 67 cars on a
shorter track at a time.  Big Bore vs. Small Bore.  The winner is Chairman of
the Bored.  I asked you to stop me earlier.

Rambling on,
Rick Gurolnick
"Doctor Dreadful" 1960 356