Re: Gearing

To: 76276.1555@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Gearing
From: Arnsug@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 22:56:24 -0400
>I have a question for any of you who have updated/modified your trans and/or
>differentials;

Caution: purists and faint of heart read no more.

I'm running a 3.31 Detroit Locker rear, which helps the boggy starts in first
gear and completely eliminates wheel spinning.  I wouln't go any higher for
street use.  The down-sides are higher rpms on the highway, lower gas mileage
(like a drop from 12 to 10 mpg really matters to someone with a modified
Tiger), and the noise (the rear sounds like two bricks in a tin garbage can
when it engages and disengages).  Other limited slip diffys which use
friction clutches are available which are a little mellower.

I'm also running 15" wheels (15x5 and 15x7centerlines with 3-5/16 offset) and
50 series tires, although my fenders have been flared (it was like that when
I got the car).

Happy motoring

Arnie Sugar
'66 MK1A Tiger