Re: Gearing

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearing
From: Jim Parent <76276.1555@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 27 May 96 23:26:44 EDT
Arnie,

I have heard lockers and your description is apt.

I assume that you have wide tires on those wheels??  Is your tranny stock?  I've
been advised to go with a wider ratio if I stay with the 2.88 rear end.  I
assume that you're happy with your no-bog launches?  Tell me what size your
tires are.  15" wheels with a 3.31 may be close to 13" wheels with a 2.88!!!!
Who did your locker install?  What are you running in the engine with regard to
heads, cam, carb, in/out breathing?

It sounds like you use yours the way I intend to use mine; in town as a commuter
that merges with ease.

I am a purist.  I've got the badge on the bonnett.

Regards,

Jim Parent, B9470139

=========================
Arnie, you wrote:

Caution: purists and faint of heart read no more.

I'm running a 3.31 Detroit Locker rear, which helps the boggy starts in first
gear and completely eliminates wheel spinning.  I wouln't go any higher for
street use.  The down-sides are higher rpms on the highway, lower gas mileage
(like a drop from 12 to 10 mpg really matters to someone with a modified
Tiger), and the noise (the rear sounds like two bricks in a tin garbage can
when it engages and disengages).  Other limited slip diffys which use
friction clutches are available which are a little mellower.

I'm also running 15" wheels (15x5 and 15x7centerlines with 3-5/16 offset) and
50 series tires, although my fenders have been flared (it was like that when
I got the car).

Happy motoring

Arnie Sugar
'66 MK1A Tiger