Re: Renewed Faith

To: marrone@wco.com, tigers@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Renewed Faith
From: JEFF_CARTER@hp-cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 16:03:52 -0600

     Frank,

     It's an old song but it still rings true.  "Them that know, they know that
     they know and them that don't know, they don't know they don't know.

     The Statue of Liberty, Mt. Rushmore, The Brooklyn Bridge, uhh....Miami!
are
     all to be considered valuable for historical or artistic reasons.  Damn
     sure they maintain their appreciation and value (not just monetarily)
     through constant maintainance and replacement.

     Any replacement part that keeps the car on the road is acceptable to me.
     Thiry 30 years from now, anyone who has or wants a Tiger will be happy to
     have had the oppurtunity w/ or w/out correct details.  Perfect or
     identified reproduction parts, it doesn't matter to me.  Just keep it on
     the road.

     Jeff

Author:  Non-HP-owner-tigers (owner-tigers@triumph.cs.utah.edu) at
HP-ColSprings,mimegw5
Date:    7/11/96 9:04 PM

>No offense intended to anybody.  But I haven't seen what I consider to be
>any VALID arguments against producing quality , accurate reproductions.  The
>arguments I _do_ see always center around the $$ value of items ( or entire
>cars for that matter ).

OK, I'll try to make the point a bit clearer.

Do those who collect coins feel that a reproduction 1804 Silver Dollar (only
something like ten known to exist) is as good as an original or would they
feel an identical repo undistinguishable from the real item would be good
for the hobby?

I think not.

Do those who collect baseball cards feel that a reproduction Ty Cobb tobacco
card (valued in the tens of thousands) is as good as an original or would
they feel an identical repo undistinguishable from the real item would be
good for the hobby?

I think not.

Do those that collect rare art feel that a reproduction (insert favorite
rare art item here)  is as good as an original or would they feel an
identical repo undistinguishable from the real item would be good for the hobby?

I think not.

If you have ever collected as a hobby you would understand the harm that can
be done by repos that are identical to the real thing.  I know that for
many, or maybe most, our Tigers are not viewed as objects of collection (a
collection of one counts)  but for some the collectibility, rarity, history
or whatever you want to call it is important too.

I'm sorry if my concern about preserving my investment seems crass to any of
you.  I'm sure if you think about it you all must feel the same to some
extent about one thing or the other.

Maybe I still havn't made my point but let me turn it around and ask this:

Why not make a repo distinguishable in some small insignificant way?  Your
not planning on fooling anyone are you?  If you don't hold originality or
faith to the original in high esteem why would it matter if the repo could
be identified as such?

Shown to be in the minority as usual...

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       Series I Alpine  (2.3L powered by Ford)
                       Yamaha Seca 900