Re: Renewed Faith

To: STUART_BRENNAN@hp-andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Renewed Faith
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 17:36:01 +0100
Stuart,

In the '50's I used two of the Curta products.  One was the mechanical
computer, which was shaped like a round pepper mill.  You ground a crank
and got numbers, instead of pepper (or coffee).  Any $2 calculator will
run rings around it, without the grinding.  It would make a great
looking hi-tech paper weight.  The other was the "Speed Pilot", which
was connected to the speedometer cable and allowed direct entry of
required rally average speed.  It measured time, distance traveled, and
required rate input.  It gave you various option information to get back
on target. As a navigator I was loaned the equipment by the Villam Hahn
accessories dealer in Beverly Hills. When we made a wrong turn
averageing and exact 38 mph, aand wasn't able to get turned around very
quickly, I didn't need the d--ned thing to tell me I needed to go
147.375 mph to catch-up.  It was clever, but didn't forgive.  I went
back to a slide rule and a clipboard with 3 stop watches.  It wasn't
more accurate, but made me feel more participatory.

Good luck in finding one, or both.  Better luck in using one.  The first
thing you will require is that your own clocks, odometer and speedometer
be calibrated.  Good luck with the Smiths/Jaeger.
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/