RE: that's _darn_ the torpedos :)

To: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: that's _darn_ the torpedos :)
From: marrone@wco.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:24:34 -0800 (PST)
A friend had one with a 305.  We found some better flowing factory heads
from an early seventies GM-mobile (thanks to an excellent Hot Rod Mag
article) for cheap at pick-your-part, added a 4bbl and a cam and wow!
Giving the appropriately described handeling characteristics it was scarry.
My friend Dave actually learned to drive it well and would do respectfuly at
the auto cross.  In hard turns it would appear that the front wheels would
get about 30 degrees camber!

Ack!  Chevy talk on the Tigers list )-:  I've been too long without a
running LBC!

>       My mom had the one with the 350.  A hot little car, with awful
>suspension, and disasterous brakes.!!  The front brakes would fade so
>fast, if you were hot rodding around.  One or two Stop sign to Stop sign
>blasts, and you'd have smoke rolling up from the front brakes.  I know,
>I did it enough times.  The car was geared real high like the Tigers,
>and with the junky TH350 it would just barely light up the right rear
>tire.  It wallowed in the corners, due to the weight of the V-8 (262 was
>no better), and it generally was a terrible car to drive hard.  It was
>basically a mushy Vega with better engine.  I hated it.
>
>Rich
>

>>      Chevy did that in the late seventies with the Monza....they were
>produced
>>with
>>      262 destroked small blocks but because of problems of some sort for one
>year
>>      (1977-1979 somewhere in there) they were produced with 350's!!!!
>>
>>      These would be interesting to find.... I haven't heard of anyone with
>one,
>>but
>>      they were built.

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       Series I Alpine  (2.3L powered by Ford)
                       Yamaha Seca 900