Re: Is the wrong color a crime?

To: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>,
Subject: Re: Is the wrong color a crime?
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 14:09:52 +0100
SORRY,

Sometimes my e-mail gets severely truncated, over what I originally
sent. More often my messages have been mysteriously expanded by a
malignant source.

With regard to the "loverly shade of green" MG thread, I had replied
that I had one of the early '52 MG-TD's in factory green. The unusual
part about this is that the car was two-toned. The body (bonnet and
sides, doors, cowls, boot and gas tank) was a metallic (!) medium green.
The front and rear fenders, running boards, and front and rear valances
were in a darker solid green. This is the factory combination, and only
occurred in the green in this year ('51-'52).

Other two-toned cars of that day were the Alvis drop-head coupe, the
Humber Super Snipe sedan, The Jaguar MkIV and MkV and some of the
Rolls/Bently group. Much later the Jaguar MkIX tried this out. It was
very popular in the 30's, but few post-war cars did this, and the only
American one I can recall might be the Town and Country type station
wagons, with the wood trim (not quite the same thing).

A good friend did race his Jaguar XK120 with black fenders and doors and
a mint green bonnet, cowl, trunk. Looked pretty cool (even tasty). He
went on to direct the action sequences in some movies - like Bullit,
with Steve McQueen.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >