Re: Advice on Pulling Engine

To: w_pierzga@email.msn.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Advice on Pulling Engine
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:01:46 EST
Hi Wayne
  Like you I am in the procees of restoring a Tiger ,but mine is a Mk 1a.I too
pulled my engine as part of the process,and here are my two cents on the
process and problems with it.
 I follwed the directions in the Tiger service manual.I took it out thru the
top.I also used 3 cans of WD-40(or equivilant) on every part of the car that
had  a bolt I was going to touch during the dis-assembly,over the course of 2
weeks or so.I unhooked everything that could come loose,and the water pump and
crank pulley as well.I got the front end WAY  up in the air,then I realized
the problem:garage roof clearance.The whole engine and trans comes out
STRAIGHT UP-JUST LIKE A ROCKET!You need a 9 foot(or so) garage  clearance to
pull the engine and trans as a complete assembly(No kidding!)
Just picture this: the enine and trans LENGTH PLUS  the RAISED HEIGHT of the
car PLUS room to clear the whole mess.
 I didnt have the clearance to remove the engine and trans as a unit,so I
removed the trans from the enginefrom below and took the engine out thru the
top.A problem I had with this was that the trans splines were rusty,I had to
pin the trans against the body with a floorjack to get enough stability to pry
it away from the engine(as everything was unattached at that stage).
 When I put the whole mess back together I will raise the car higher and
install the engine,trans and headers in from below.The front suspension comes
out as a unit.It is secured by 4 bolts,2 brakelines and the splined section of
the steering box that mates with the(use LOTS  of WD40 ! )steering wheel shaft
(okay another bolt for a total of 5).A good tip I got from online was to duct
tape the socket for the (4) crossmember bolts to its extension so you dont
lose it in the crossmember.
 Something that I remember reading in the TEAE Sunbeam Survivor manual is that
you(since you have a Mk11) will have  a clearance problem when you install the
eng/trans combo due to a lack of clearance in the trans tunnel because it will
come into contact with the reverse light switch thingy(not a problem for us Mk
1 owners,no reverse lights!) that is mounted on the trans side.I dont know how
much of a problem that the reverse switch is to PULL the engine  this way ,but
be aware.
 Good luck!
Tony