Re: Re: Advice on Pulling Engine

To: anitabrt@mindspring.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re: Advice on Pulling Engine
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:39:12 EST
Hi
 On Feb 23 you wrote in response  to my  musings on what I went thru to get
the engine out of my car...At 12:01 AM 2/23/98 EST, you wrote:

....I got the front end WAY  up in the air,then I realized
>the problem:garage roof clearance.The whole engine and trans comes out
>STRAIGHT UP-JUST LIKE A ROCKET!You need a 9 foot(or so) garage  clearance to
>pull the engine and trans as a complete assembly(No kidding!)...

    <<    I don't understand what the problem is.  My ceiling is 8'2" and I
have
a chain and bracket secured above the ceiling.  This hangs down 10" from the
ceiling.  I use a "come along", which when completely jacked up, puts the
lower
hook 28" from the ceiling.  I always pull my motors from the top. I first
have the
 Tiger up on jack stands so that the transmission tail piece is about a foot
from the floor to start.  Once I get the tail piece out to the tunnel, then
I lower
the Tiger.  The pulling chain should be placed so that the motor/transmission
is not completely out of balance so that the assy can be more or less level
as you roll the Tiger back to clear the motor/transmission.
        I have two problems pulling from the top with a "come along".
The water pump snout hits the sheet metal above the radiator, which can
 be solved with a bit of prying on the sheet metal.  The second is that the
handle
 of the "come along" hits the ceiling when I first start lowering the motor.
JiM Barrett Tiger II 351C and others>>
 Well Jim, I have pulled a few motors in my time too...its been a few years
since the last one.I have an average two car garage with the garage door that
rolls onto rails suspended from the rafters.I had rented a "cherry-picker"
hoist to do the lifting.I had the nose of the car facing out,garage door open
to give access to the hoist when I realized how much the garage door limited
lifting space.A come-along hoist would work nice if my rafters were beefy
enough to support 600 lbs or so.I only guessed that I would need 9 feet of
overhead space to do it in the manner described.That you mention that you have
over 8 foot of space means thay mine wasnt such a bad guess after all.
Tony
PS I see that you sign your e-mail w / TigerII 351C how did you ever find room
to put a Cleveland 351 style motor in one of these little cars w/o  a lot of
cutting?How do you change your spark plugs?