At 10:39 AM 2/24/98 EST, you wrote:
>PS I see that you sign your e-mail w / TigerII 351C how did you ever find room
>to put a Cleveland 351 style motor in one of these little cars w/o a lot of
>cutting?How do you change your spark plugs?
I only have one plug, the front left that is slightly hard to get too.
The steering column is somewhat in the way. The other plugs are
very easy to get to with a standard 3/8" ratchet and spark plug socket.
I sometimes add a 3" extension as there is plenty of room.
I did a bit of modification under the hood. First I replaced the
firewall with 1/16" plate steel 6" back from the normal firewall
position. ( lost most of the heater core space). Welded the new
firewall to the transmission tunnel and on all sides. Added 2"X3" new frames
mounted flush with the outside of the original frames that extend from the
frount bumper mounting point all the way back to the cross member at the
"X" frame. Welded to original frames from firewall on back as well
as the other misc. braces and sheet metal. Then
removed the original frames from firewall to bumper mount. Removed the
spot welded braces from the fenderwells and cut the fenderwell center out until
it was well clear of the motor/headers etc. Added sheet metal to
fill in the big hole in the fenderwell. Fabricated new motor mount
brackets from 1/4" steel plates. Radiator mount fabricated out of
1" square steel tubes vertical off of new frame. Radiator then modified
to be 4" wider with a new core. Ratiator has two inlets and two outlets
to allow either Winsor 289 or Cleveland 351 to match up correctly.
Capped the two unused ports with plumber's 1 1/2" Test Cap
Added 1" square braces from firewall to cross member area and
triangulated with 1/8" plates. Firewall also has a "angle iron" brace
across it similar to the original firewall. The "angle iron" is actually
one of the equipment mounting rails from an electronic equipment
rack. The Firewall is actually made from the rear door of the
same 36" wide rack/cabinet. ( waste not /want a lot?) The new frames
were located flush ( almost) with the spring seat hump on the cross
member. Had to do some tricky cutting and welding in that area.
Frames are both bolted on ( through the original holes ) as well as
welded. That is why I always pull the motor from the top.
Most people who look under the hood are unaware that major
modifications have occured, they only see the 4 barrel head 351C
setting there with a big double pumper on it.
I did raise the end of the steering column, but no mods
were required to the steering U joints.
The lower driver's side radiator hose is made of a couple of
1 1/2" copper elbows/ copper tubes and two short streight
rubber hoses on each end. This was necessary to clear the
steering rack U joint.
I got rid of the hydralic clutch and now have manual
linkage as there is plenty of room.
1 5/8 headers with 4 wide flat collectors and 2 3/4"
exhaust pipes along with Royal Scott mufflers finished it off.
I did all the work in my tiny garage.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others