Re: Advice on Pulling Engine

To: Doug&RettLeithauser <dleit@mintcity.com>
Subject: Re: Advice on Pulling Engine
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:31:24 +0000

Doug & Rett Leithauser wrote:

> I've yet to experience the wonders of engine removal & replacement in my
> Tiger, but over the years i've dealt with probably hundreds of engine
> and/or transmission installations, & this method is definately the one I'm
> going to try on my car. It can be awkward to line up the trans, but that
> swing on the chain can actually be helpful. It would definately be nice to
> have wheels and even brakes on the car when the engine is out
> 25 years of flat-rate auto repair

> Doug Leithauser

Doug,

You may be correct, in your case. In my situation, there is no "hook height"
available to get a "cherry-picker" to clear the pan, as I suspect may be the
case in many home garages. A "grease pit" would help, but haven't seen them
except in movies. BUT, the British have them in the factory, along with the
hook height. This is where their recommendations come form. In addition, they
pull the tranny at the same time.

I agree that a rolling chassis is better than one with only two wheels, but
having the engine, and tranny, on a rolling steel carrier (see Mark Olson's
web page" ) is a definite plus. This roll-about can be used a good deal of
engine work, but a transfer to a motor stand would probably be required in
most cases. It appears you intend to leave the tranny in the car. I've just
got through with this "disconnect", and have a few hints on how to do it
without having to drill out your firewall to get to the bell housing top
bolts, and how to get to the tranny top bolts.

If moving the body, while the engine/front cross-member are out is a concern,
I believe a smilar fabricated/wheeled trolley would bolt to existing holes,
and allow movement. With 360 degree wheels in front, it might even be easier.
Especially with all that weight out of the car.
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >

                         _/