Re: Fw: locating rear susp

To: Rich Atherton <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: locating rear susp
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 07:35:00 +0100

Rich Atherton wrote:

> Well, a Jag E-Type rear end is of the exact same period, and could easily
>handal
> all the HP and torque that any 260, 289 or 302 could put out.  Except for the
> Berrett's built 351 Monster!  Has anyone done this significant modification.
>At
> least  its british !!
>
> Rich

Rich,

You are exactly correct, Rich.  The E-Jag used IRS, inboard disc brakes, and
many
other swell features.  A good deal ahead of any other "production" cars.  They
were
not the first to use these ideas, just the first mass produced car.

 I do wish to point out, however, that when I said "period originality", I meant
for the Sunbeam design period.  While these cars may have been built at the same
time, one was curent technology, and the Tiger is more representative of the
mid to
late 50's in design philosophy.

Independent front suspension was production in the thirties (MG-TC and Morgan
excepted).  Even Sidney Allard split the Ford solid front axle to make it
independent in the 50's.  The use of coil front springs is pre-war as well.
Tubular shocks were fairly current production, but then earlier Alpines had some
lever shocks.  The "Uni-body" construction was fairly modern, although Chrysler
mass produced it here in the early 60's.  Besides, it was cheaper.  And VERY
difficult to fix (ask my son).

While the basic Ford push-rod overhead valve was introduced a decade earlier, in
'54, it was passe' then.  Jag had overhead cams in a production car in 1949.  So
modern Ford is old hat, even then.

Except for the amazing technological breakthrough of leaky roll-up windows,
instead
of leaky side curtains, the design of the Sunbeam is not significantly different
thatn cars 10 to 15 years earlier.

Now, having said all these "negative" things about our pride and joy, it is
still
the most bang for the buck I know of.  It is FUN to drive, sounds almost as
good as
my old Jag, and is a real "sleeper".  A great many people know of the car
because
either they, or their freind, "owned one just like it".  Not a day goes by that
don't get a "thumbs-up" from young and old alike.  Good feeling.  When ever I
wonder why I want a car whose heater doesn't heat and whose "demister" doesn't
(British Standard), I just goes the gas a little and all is well with the world.

No accounting for taste or love.

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >