Re: Fw: locating rear susp

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fw: locating rear susp
From: "Warwick Jones" <tigers@warwick.powernet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 13:55:36 +0100
In what way do you recommend reinforcing the leaf springs?

I already have traction bars, and have on the advice of my mechanic removed
the Panhard  rod, which I agree has too higher mounting point on the chassis
(it is interesting to note in Marcus Chambers' book 'Works Wonders', he
talks of the limited testing carried out on the Le Mans cars, and that "the
Panhard rod location was lowered 3in from what it had been at the Le Mans
test" during testing at Snetterton prior to the race!)

I believe it is quite common for welds on the chassis mounting point for the
Panhard rod to fail (mine did), so my worry is that the lateral forces that
were taken up by the Panhard rod will now be transmitted though to the
chassis through other suspension components (namely the springs and spring
hangers) which are designed for vertical loads! (and if these loads can
break the welds on  the rod mounting...?)  Although I would concede that
with a steep angle on the rod from axle to chassis any vertical movement of
the axle will create their own lateral loads through the rod and mountings,
separate from the cornering loads!

Warwick Jones
UK