Re: Brake Servo Units

To: FrizBMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake Servo Units
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:25:36 -0500
At 08:46 PM 1/28/99 EST, you wrote:
>So My question to the list is this...since this fellow in Australia is
>recomending a local(to him) substitution for the Girling booster setup,and
>this aussie setup was used on Aussie Ford Falcons(were they built over there?)
>would as similar American part for the same Ford Falcon here be a viable
>substitute as well.
>Just thinking out loud
>Tony

Tony,
        Back in 1963 I rebuilt power brake units for a living.  The Bendix
Hydrovac, which came in many sizes, were very similar to the Girling
Units.  GM products used them a lot.  1963 was a long time ago.
No idea if one could find one today.  They were all for single brake
setups at that time.

        Alternative Hot Rod Setup:
Disconnect the master cylinder from the brakes.
Run a brake line from the master cylinder
to the trunk and connect to a spare clutch
slave cylinder.  Use the clutch slave cylinder to drive the
push rod of a modern dual power brake unit (Previously
known as a "Tredle-Vac" in 1963).  Connect new brake lines
to front and rear brakes.  Requires fabrication of brackets
to hold the clutch slave cylinder and the power brake unit.
Replace the brake light switch with a mechnical version
attached near the brake pedal. Switch closes when the
peddle is pushed.
Run a vacumn line to the unit in the trunk and you are
done. ( except mabe you might add an adjustable perportioning
valve to the rear brake line if the rear locks up before the front).
If you get fancy add the valve that indicates failure of
one of the two brake systems and the idiot light to go
with it.

With a lot more work and cost you could add antilock brakes as well.

Some people have placed the unit behind the front seats
to save the trunk space.

The old master cylinder could also be replaced with a
clutch master cylinder as there is no need for the residual
pressure valve in the brake  master cylinder.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others