Re: torker& carter AFB -Reply

To: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Subject: Re: torker& carter AFB -Reply
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 17:21:52 -0700
Daniel Jones wrote:

> >The Torker is a HIGH rise manifold.  The Carter is about the same as the
> >Holley.  Don't believe it will clear, but you can always test it, if
>installed,
> >with a wad of aluminum foil on top of the carb.
>
> >From Edelbrock's web site, the heights are:
>                              A        B
>  Performer 289      3.50"   4.75"
>  Torker II              4.00"   5.18"
>  Performer RPM    4.30"   5.50"
>
> I believe a Performer 289 will clear but I don't know about a Performer
> RPM.  If the RPM does, then a Torker II should as well.  With only a
> 1/2" taller carb base than a Performer 289, it's possible it will.  The air
> cleaner flange is a little lower on the Carter so that will help some.
>
> Dan Jones

Dan,

Thanks for the measurements.  I have used the Performer on my Mustang.  A good
manifold, compared to the stock 4 BBL, but not in the league of the Performer
RPM,
which is, as the numbers show, a high rise.  The Torker's dimensions are near,
or
below the RPM and the RPM is nearly the same as the F4B LAT.

I believe it is not a dual plane manifold, and is a bit soggy at the lower RPM
ranges, but superior at the high revs.

My experience with the F4B is that it will clear the stock hood and stock air
cleaner IF you use a regular nut, instead of a wing nut (which wasn't original
anyway).  The carb MUST have a built-in EGR valve inlet tube,  There is no room
for
any kind of spacer, even the 1/4 inch 302 BOSS one.

Even so, I would test the clearance at the front left and right stock air
cleaner
corners, and watch whose filter you use.  The original LAT 465 CFM carb did not
have a PVC port, being originally built for a '55 T-Bird.  The throttle plate
base
can be changed to a newer 600 CFM base, (watch the gasket and hole matching) and
everything works fine, even with engine torque twist.

BTDT

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/