Re: torker& carter AFB -Reply

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: torker& carter AFB -Reply
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:59:20 -0500

Daniel Jones wrote:

> >The Torker is a HIGH rise manifold.  The Carter is about the same as the
>I believe it is not a dual plane manifold, and is a bit soggy at the lower RPM
>ranges, but superior at the high revs.

It is a single plane.  Windsor states his is a Torker 289 but what Edelbrock
now lists is a Torker II which may or may not be the same as a Torker 289.
They redesigned some of the early intakes but others were simply renamed.
Some single planes are much better than others.  Stay away from the x-type
single planes that have straight runners into the ports.  The better ones have
gently curved runners.  The best high rise dual planes may beat a so-so
single plane all the way across the rev range.  A good single plane will usually
win out on the top end and some aren't too bad on the low end either.  The
tricky part is when you add the effect of an air cleaner.  I lean towards a
good medium rise single plane like a Weiand Xcelerator with a full air cleaner
element over a high rise with a restricted element.  That assumes I've got the
cam and compression to use a single plane in the first place.  Single planes
can work well but they are more sensitive to engine configuration and tuning.

Dan Jones