Re: to pvc or not to pvc

To: Scott Lampert <netscott@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: to pvc or not to pvc
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 16:19:10 -0700
Scott Lampert wrote:

> is it better to not run a pvc and just go with breathers caps on the
> valve covers?
> i would think that it would be just another place to loose vacume at the
> intake.
> also i am running valve covers with no baffels in them, so i think it
> will just suck more oil in the intake.
>
> scott

Scott,

IMHO, the PCV (Pollution Control Valve) does much good, and little harm.
The Vacuum is not 'lost'.  This device removes the fumes of combustion that
have by-passed the rings into the sump, and would otherwise be vented to
the air in your engine bay.  From there it proceeds directly to your
passenger compartment.  The valve is controlled by manifold vacuum such
that it is open for removing vapors only when the vacuum in your manifold
is high.  This occurs at idle, on steady cruise, and downhill.  Not the
places you are demanding a clean air/fuel mix into your engine.

With insignificant power loss, and good benefits, I'd leave it in.  BUT, it
must be in proper working order.  This can be determined by many methods
that, I am sure, will be posted by our valuable home "wrenches".  The
original valve could be disassembled, cleaned bad parts replaced, and
re-used.  Mine was actually assembled backwards so that it didn't work.
The P.O. might have made an error (easy to do if you don't read the
manual) or he may have thought it helped (doesn't).  Re-assembled correctly
actually improved the performance.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/