Re: Harmonic Balancer

To: TIGEROOTES@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Harmonic Balancer
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:00:53 -0700
Jim, et Listers,

I'm sure you are right Jim. After lo these many years I guess I have become
a bit confused about where this piece actually goes. So, if it does go on
the crankshaft, then what in hell were those Ford engineers thinking
anyway? Maybe it's there to toss oil up on the upper gear? It makes no
sense to me that they would move a couple of ounces of weight from the
damper to this piece; especially when it means having to use a narrow
timing chain.

More confused than ever in San Diego,

Bob

At 03:32 PM 7/26/99 -0400, TIGEROOTES@aol.com wrote:
>Bob,
>You wrote: "but note that the cam counterbalance used in the HiPo 289s
>turns at half the crankshaft rpm."
>
>         What is the cam counterbalance you refer to?  On a hypo, there is a
>pizza cutter shaped internal counterweight on the CRANKshaft behind the
>single tooth timing chain and crankshaft gear, and you can't run a double
>roller chain without removing it.  I was unaware of a CAMshaft counterweight!
>  More please!
>Jim Leach,      Seattle

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES