Re: Speed in the wind

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speed in the wind
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:32:50 -0700
Jim,

Looks like you're in for one doozie of a storm!! Where again are you
located?? I think I'd recommend you start driving like hell right now. Or
have you already started tearing out the SROD to put in the C4? Here's what
the weather news has to say:

"Florida Governor Jeb Bush Monday declared a state of emergency in
preparation for a possible direct hit by Hurricane Floyd. Coastal
Floridians prepared for evacuation, memories of Hurricane Andrew still
alive for many, including the Governor.
"We all remember Hurricane Andrew and all the damage it caused in South
Florida in 1992," said Bush. "Hurricane Floyd is almost three times the
physical size of Andrew, three times."
Floyd remained a strong Category Four hurricane late Monday night, with
sustained winds of 155 mph. The most powerful storm on the Saffir Simpson
scale is a Category Five.
More than 200,000 people along Florida's east-central coast were told to
evacuate, as Miami officials watched Floyd grow ever closer to the densely
populated coast.
Hotel and motels in Orlando, 45 miles inland, were being snatched up by
worried coastal residents."

At 11:08 PM 9/13/99 -0400, James Barrett wrote:
>Folks,
>         Floyd is scheduled to visit me Tue. and Wed.
>Now my questions are:
>          If I drive my 351C Tiger II at 140 MPH down
>wind in the 155 MPH wind and I stick my hand out the
>window will I feel a 15 MPH wind from the rear?

Yes.

>         What milage improvement can I expect when
>driving down wind?

Even a tired Alpine can do 140+ MPH with a 155 MPH tailwind. I'll bet your
mileage would be 50+ mi/gal

>         How much wind will I feel when I make a
>U turn and go flat out?

155 MPH - unless you're hooked up to a cog railroad for traction.

>         How high has a Tiger flown ( without an
>airplane)?

Ask Terry Taylor

>         Do Tigers float well in 20 ft. storm surges?

I hear they sink like rocks.

>         Any suggestions for removing salt water from a Tiger.

The good news is the torrential rains that accompany the storm should do a
good job of rinsing out the ocean water.

>James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

Good luck Jim,

Bob

Robert L. Palmer