Speed in the Wind

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Speed in the Wind
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:15:34 -0400
Folks,
        Floyd found out that there were only 3 or 4 Tigers in
the Melbourne/Palm Bay area and heard a rumor that there were a lot more
about to gather up north so he took off to the NNW, looking for
more.
        Minimal damage here, lost some screening on the pool
enclosure and had several tree limbs in the yard.

        Did discover the answer to my first question about
driving 140 down wind.  The wind has much better brakes
than my Tiger and better acceleration too. So if I stick
my hand out the window at speed, I will feel anywhere from
minus 155 to plus 140 MPH depending on the exact second.
The wind comes in gusts as well as sometimes continious.

        Seriously, I had peak wind gusts of under 70 MPH.
My Tiger was hiding in the garage and I had nailed the door
shut in case it wanted to go out at night.

       Stayed up all night just in case.  About 3 AM some
idiot decided to take a dip in the surf.  Had the cops
all over him. No idea what they arrested him for, total
stupidity did not used to be a crime.

        Could have started to pull the motor on Thursday
afternoon, but not knowing what the storm was going to
do I decided to keep the Tiger driveable.  Too tired
on Wed afternoon to start the transplant.

       Worked on the neutral safty switch for the
C4.  Found that I had the C4 internal linkage wrong.
When you put the valve body in the transmission,
you have to blindly align two linkage levers with
a couple of spool valves.  Finally got them aligned
correctly.  The kick down lever fits at the end
of a spool.  The shift lever has to engauge a slot
in the manual shift spool.  You can just barely
see the connections with a flashlight held at a certain
angle while the valve body is held slightly out of
place by hand.

        Good luck to the folks up north of me.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others