RE: Performance Tuning the Tiger

To: "'Doug Mallory'" <rdmallory@earthling.net>, Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>,
Subject: RE: Performance Tuning the Tiger
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:56:18 -0700
I forgot, we used that too. We used about 85% methanol, 2 or 3% toluene, a
little acetone, and the rest premium gas. Methanol has about half the energy
content compared to gasoline so you need to nearly double the jet area for
the 85% methanol mix. We did all that. We did the dyno testing using
aviation fuel, so any HP gain from using methanol or loss from getting the
methanol jetting incorrect wasn't reflected in my earlier compression ratio
comparison.

If you do it right, you can obtain about 10% horsepower gain using methanol
compared to gasoline, due to methanol's oxygen content. However, methanol is
corrosive to aluminum and toxic to people, and one of the combustion
byproducts is formaldehyde - nasty stuff.

Theo