Re: Fuel shortage

To: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Fuel shortage
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:11:33 -0700
Jeff Howarth wrote:

> I know you have not had leaded fuel in the US for a few years but
> Leaded fuel is known to have killed 'cat'alytic converters - I seem to
> recall reading it reacted with the Platinum coating)

Correct.  It also puts lead in the air, which can accumulate in your body
and kill you too.

> Over in the UK we now have LEAD REPLACEMENT PETROL (LRP),
>
> Does that also kill the 'cat' or is it safe to use ??? I assume by LRP
> they define it as having no lead in it. DO the chemicals they use to
> replace the lead still effect the catalyst ?

In the US (or at least California) they used to sell high octane gas
without lead enhancement and with.  State law required labeling all pumps
on whether the fuel contained lead way before smog catalytic converters
(1940 at least).  Are your pumps labeled?

> Any chemists around ?

Yes, but I'm not one of them.

Good luck, Jeff.  I was shocked at the gas prices in Europe too, but MOST
of it is your governments taxes, not the cost of the gas, or the profit.
There must be at least 25% of our costs going to various levels of federal,
state, and local governments taxes.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/