Re: Fuel shortage

To: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Fuel shortage
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:04:51 -0700
Jeff Howarth wrote:

> ----------------- Fortunately, the one a mile form my home has it
> which means I don't have to modify the heads on my Sunbeam.

Jeff,

This is the first time I have seen why you were so interested in lead.  I
thought
you may have a catalytic converter in one of your cars, or an FI 302 in your
Tiger
with one (the oxygen sensor doesn't work well without it, and makes the
injectors
not issue the proper fuel).

But now I see it's the valve seats you are worried about, as they are not
hardened
in the older cars, and the lead in the gas helped lubricate the exhaust valve
seats.

Well, cheer-up.  Your problems really do not exist, unless you have rebuilt your
heads recently and incorrectly.

If the car has been running on leaded gas for some time, a coating has
developed on
the exhaust seats and valves which will provide adequate lubrication, even if
you
run on unleaded, for the rest of the engines life.

If you rebuilt the heads, you would have wanted to do some port work, maybe
increase
the valve sizes a bit, change the springs and rocker posts to studs, etc.  This
is
the time to have a hardened seat installed on the new lash-up, using good
stainless
after market Chevy valves that have the better keeper lock angle and fit right
on.

Either way, don't worry about lead.  BTW, for the real worry warts, there is an
additive to lubricate the exhaust valves, but I doubt it does much for octane.
We
can get the same octane ratings with our unleaded, as with the older leaded, but
when they add alcohol, the engine runs for s--t, as anyone who used the gas at
T.U.
Big Bear will testify.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/