Re: Fuel shortage

To: "SJC Worldwide" <rootes@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Fuel shortage
From: "James Pickard" <geowiz@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:03:27 -0500
I DO work for an oil company (Stone Energy - SGY on the NYSE).  Long ago our
government decided cheap gasoline was the unwritten #11 on the Bill of
Rights, and they sacrificed the domestic oil industry in exchange for cheap
oil.  Now that we import more than half our oil, we are at the mercy of OPEC
along with most of the rest of the world.  BTW, they just announced a record
trade deficit, and called it the weak link in the strong US economy.  What
do you think all that money is going for?  Toyotas?  Chinese electronics?
No, it is for foreign oil.  It is the law of supply and demand, folks.
Since we can't do much in the short term about supply, all we can do is
reduce demand or the price will not come down.

I'll get off the soapbox now.

Jim Pickard
Lafayette, LA
B9473298