Re: Steering wheel

To: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Steering wheel
From: johnc@nait.ab.ca
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:17:35 -0600
Hey:
That is a great, concise description of how to restore a steering
wheel.What you did was exactly what I did to restore my wheel. I would only
add one thing. When you glue the wood to the steel ring use a really good
waterproof glue and wrap string around the wood in a continuous band, much
like the old string wrapped racing wheels. Pull the string as tight as you
can as you go and this will ensure good contact. The string will probably
end up glued into place as the excess glue is squeezed out of the joints
but it can easily be sanded off when dry.

I too used as much of the original wheel as I could find. My car had been
in a collision in which part of the wood from the wheel had been imbedded
into the previous owner. I understand that it entered his inner arm and
then pierced his chest cavity. He was lucky to come out of it alive. He did
find it a little crass though when I contacted him to see if he had kept
the offending piece and if so could I please have it back to restore the
wheel.
Godspeed
Jc