Help Needed

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Help Needed
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:54:19 EDT
Well it finally happened.  After 13 years my Tiger has let me down.  After
about 120 miles loop up through Canada I stopped for gas, had lunch and
restarted the car.  Upon restarting and trying to get underway, the car ran
very roughly...sounded like only 5 or 6 cylinders were firing.

So, the symptoms are:  car would start and seem to be running on 6 cylinders,
but am not sure this is the case.  I figured somehow it was flooded, but
after driving for quite a while the plugs, if they were flooded, did not
clear up.  I checked for loose wires and couldn't find any.  My guess is that
it's somehow fuel related.  In the clear fuel filter the filter is only about
1/4th full with the car running.  Does this indicate that I am not getting
enough fuel or is this normal?  I can't remember now if there is another
filter in the pump that could be restricted.  The car once under way would
run fairly smoothly, but with no power.  The carb was rebuilt a few years ago
so I assume that it's okay.   I wondered, also,  if it was a bad batch of
fuel that I picked up.  If so, how can I check it?   Any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

There is a good and bad side to this story.  The good thing is that I
discovered a Tiger was still able to climb (read that limp) over a 3,000 ft
elevation mountain in 2nd and 3 rd gear to get home and to make the final 80
miles with no power at all.  The bad story is that my female flame had flown
1800 miles to visit and this was my day to give her some appreciation for old
cars and especially Tigers.  Not my finest hour:-)    Help!   Mark L.