RE: Desktop Dyno Fun

To: "Derek White" <derekw@sltnet.lk>,
Subject: RE: Desktop Dyno Fun
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:49:49 -0800
Derek,

I was pretty short on explanation. I'm considered an engine fundamentally as
a black box that converts fuel/air into work. So many cfm of fuel/air go in
and so much horsepower comes out. This should be the starting point in
comparing engines. If two black boxes have the same horsepower versus cfm
fuel/air, then for all practical purposes they are equal, regardless of
bore, stroke, displacement, etc. Of course, you get cfm by multiplying rpm
times displacement. That's why I said to normalize the hp/torque curves by
the displacement.

Bob Palmer
rpalmer@ucsd.edu
rpalmerbob@adelphia.net