RE: Desktop Dyno Fun

To: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@attbi.com>, <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>,
Subject: RE: Desktop Dyno Fun
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:49:48 -0800
Frank,

Now we're getting somewhere. The program may actually be more sophisticated
than you expected. It didn't need to be built from scratch; the equations
including parasitic losses (friction) have already been thoroughly worked
out and are in the public domain. All that was needed was to give them a
convenient user interface. It's interesting too that the program puts the
lie to the old notion that long stroke engines produce more low-end torque.
Somewhere back when I remember reading an article that explained why a 3:4
bore-to-stroke ratio is optimum, but I don't remember any details. Of
course, 3:4 is exactly what a 289 is.

Bob Palmer
rpalmer@ucsd.edu
rpalmerbob@adelphia.net