Re: oil filter adapter

To: Jim Boynton <jimboynton@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: oil filter adapter
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 08:24:30 -0700
Jim,

I have a Motorsport right angle filter M6880 - A 50, which I actually
bought from Ford, along with the last Canadian 6 blade in a warehouse.

It replaced a "shortie" from the P.O. with a full flow FL1A. The only
installation challenge was to round off the sharp corner of the motor
mount that is about to penetrate the filter body (The FL1A is a little
fatter than the normal).

The shortie filter was simply screwed onto the nipple inserted into the
block, and the filter's rubber gasket sealed against the block machined
surface.

My 6880 came with a nipple that had a mid hex, to allow
installation/removal with a socket. I just swapped for the thread-only
one.  I have been told that some did NOT get this simple double male
threaded extension in their box, so used someone else's.

The remote oil filter/cooler adapters have much the same set-up.  There
was an O-ring seal on the right angle adapter, and a long shaft with  an
external nut and an internal thread that tightened and sealed the right
angle adapter to the nipple. It had flat washers for sealing.

On the business end, where the filter goes, is yet another simple
threaded nipple and a flat surface for the filter. It just screws on,
like any other block mounted filter. There is even room for a filter
removal tool to get it started to take off, just like normal.

I simply do not understand all these comments about special seals and
adapters with holes.  The threaded center hole is in the center of the
block filter hole, where the nipple goes, and around it where the oil
filter path holes are in the casting, and collect the oil from the holes
in the cartridge.

This is not rocket science. Go look at a remote filter/cooler adapter to
get the concept, and maybe the stud part you want.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman
Editor