RE: spray painted vin # and crushing cars.

To: VegasLegal@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: spray painted vin # and crushing cars.
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:57:32 -0600
One of the listers related a story (maybe a year back or so, the last
time this got discussed at some length) where he'd casually mentioned to
a DMV person that he knew of a car where the VIN plate had been removed
and replaced as part of an otherwise routine restoration, and the DMV
person immediately perked up and wanted to know all the details,
especially the car's location.
I'm sure they were just pursuing this for the moral goodness of us all,
but unfortunately, the public service profession seems to attract
power-grubbers, and some of them definitely feel that they MUST do as
the letter of the law says, regardless of the anguish they might be
imposing on other individuals.
Maybe the originator of this tale could refresh our memories?

Theo