Re: spray painted vin # and crushing cars.

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spray painted vin # and crushing cars.
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:31:25 -0700
   You know, I'm not too sure that I've ever seen a Tiger with original
rivets (and no, I'm not saying they are not out there). It seems that just
about ever Tiger I've seen has different rivets on it. As best I understand,
it has a tapered head (as opposed to the more common rounded head) with a
small, flat portion on top and a rather small hole. On the other hand I have
"heard" (can't remember where) that Rootes used two different types
rivets??? Perhaps this is just urban legend. Dose anyone have a link to real
Rootes tag rivet pictures (and JAL screws for that matter)?
   I think that in most cases regarding different rivets if there is nothing
sending up red flags (i.e. the tag # has been reported as stolen, the car in
question fits the description of a recently stolen Tiger) then the tag will
be pulled and a special DMV (Calif.) tag will be intalled in it's place. You
might be harassed a lot and have to jump through a lot of hoops, but I don't
think it is as black and white as rivets ok = car ok, wrong rivets = crushed
car. Now, I'm not saying that never has happened, it's just that it likely
doesn't happen all the time.
  Perhaps the one good line the Clinton Administration left us with is
"Don't ask, don't tell." Don't ever pull your rivets and don't ever even
mention them in the presence of a DMV offical or law enforcment for ANY
reason. Perhaps if someone wants to dip their car the plate can be covered
with a plastic piece siliconed in place (???), though I'm not sure how one
would protect the rivet from the back side.
TomWitt B9470101