Re: Authentication verification--how to create a tiger out of

To: Jim Ellis <hunber@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Authentication verification--how to create a tiger out of
From: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:57:24 -0700
There's a saying (which has a different meaning to everyone who reads it):

This is my great-great grandfathers axe.
My great grandfather replaced the handle when it broke.
My grandfather replaced the head when it wore out.
My father replaced the handle again.

This is my great-great grandfathers axe.

Okay, a family heirloom has a different emotional attachment than
something bought from a stranger. As long as the provenance of whatever
I'm buying from that stranger is known up front, I can make an informed
decision about what value it has to me (which goes back to the argument
about 'intent to deceive').   Sometimes I just want a cool looking
axe--that it's not original isn't important.  Other times, I want the
'real deal'.
Building two Bugattis from the same car? As long as it's made clear
which bits are from which car (and assuming I have the money for such an
indulgence), I might be tempted into buying one of them just to have a
Bugatti, but I couldn't pretend to myself that it's an 'all original'
car and I wouldn't expect it to act as an investment like a 'real deal'
Bugatti would.  It'd just be a nifty car to own and drive (but not at a
vintage car event, 'cause they probably wouldn't allow it).

And the debate rages on.

David (re-grinding my great-great grandfather's axe)Sosna