Re: 15 inch tires

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: 15 inch tires
From: Larry Paulick <lpaulick@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:12:24 -0500
Bob, as always, your explanations are right on the mark.  I have a T-5
with the 2.95 1st gear and a 3.54 posi.  I can pull the biggest tree
stump out with ease.

If I had my druthers, I would have a 3.xx 1st gear, but I just drive it
like a standard MK1 Tiger top loader with 2.88 gears, and start in 2nd
gear.  Works just fine.  But if I really want to haul, or whatever, then
I use first.

There is another way at looking at from a very practical position.

How do you drive every day.  Do you run the engine up to 2K, 2.5K, 3K,
3.5K rpm in each gear.  Well there are charts in the archives that show
what speed, i.e. mph, you have for that engine rpm.

You will quickly find out what is right for your driving habits.

Now, if you want to be more spirited, you can adjust.

BTW, with my T-5, with .63 5th, and 3.54 posi, it is great on the
highway, i.e. low rpm, but it pulls without a problem, as I designed a
torque motor, not a high rpm motor, and at 1800 rpm, I have 80% of the
357 lb-ft of torque to play with.

Larry