heat at speed

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: heat at speed
From: "Harry B. Elam" <harryb@elams.org>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 06:49:44 -0400
I've been a constant Tiger owner since 1979 and have experienced most of
the heating problems that have been described. After a very hot August
cross continent trip from Newport R.I. to Long Beach Ca. in 1990, I
researched all alternate radiator types, including aluminum. At a fork
truck repair shop I had an industrial core built for my stock Tiger
radiator. It has run acceptably cool since and looks stock. The needle
covers the "0" of the 170 on the gauge in normal to freeway driving and
reached 200 during 45 minutes of hot/warm laps at Summit Point race track.
My engine is a warmed up 260 with C9OZ hydralulic cam and Holley 4-bbl,
making about 175 hp at the rear wheels. I have stock hoses with a
California made Tiger water pump but no filter. I change the anti-freeze
every other year and add anti-rust to protect my heater valve. I also have
a solid state gauge voltage regulator.

Harry