Re: Headers

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Headers
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:55:49 -0700
  Since I do not have headers, I don't want to venture too far into an
unknown area. I can understand that allen bolts might not put the force of
the bolt over as large an area as a normal bolt. What I am aware of is that
some cars use a very thick washer that is stamped (some even seem cast) in a
cupped shape. This allows for a greater area to spread holding force and
likely less distortion to the exhaust flange.  The theoretical "spring"
action of the cupped washer may contribute to keep te bolt tight.
  Again I do not have headers so I am unaware of clearance issues with these
cupped washers, but, I would think that part of the washer could be ground
down for clearance.  Just thought I would throw this out if any care to
investigate the application.
Tom Witt