Re: Horns

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Horns
From: wwwdg@webtv.net (David or Gary)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:53:06 -0800
Hi Jim & Jeff, Don't know why they show different horns for the Tiger &
Alpine. Could be the Tiger engine & exhaust was louder so they had a
louder horn? Probably not. Rootes does show different horns for France &
Sweden, but I believe this is because they required a different sounding
horn.

A "Clear Hooter" and "Lucas" horn is not the same horn. Notice in the
parts book they don't show a Lucas part number for any Clear Hooters.
The Alpine Pre-Series III horns do show a Clear Hooter number, 725L &
725H. But no Clear Hooter numbers are shown for later Series III and
onwards horns (which is odd).

In the later parts book it does show both Clear Hooter and Lucas horns
available for the 1969 Alpine (Baby Barracuda design) cars, these are
different style horns, but this shows they used two different horn
suppliers.

The Rootes parts book isn't always correct, they do make mistakes.
I guess if you wanted to do the research you could check and see if the
actual horns had any part numbers on them to see if the Alpine and Tiger
had actually had different horns.

Note that you made a typo in your original post on the horn numbers, the
high note horn is #1800588, not 1800578.

David Franchi