Re: [Tigers] Ebay Madness

To: Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>, "tigers@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ebay Madness
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:25:47 -0500
I agree that's true. Ebay wont let you bid on it yourself with your own
account, and there is nothing to stop someone's family member from bidding on
it. But I will say this, one time, years ago, I told my brother to buy it from
me on eBay if the bid didn't reach a certain point, and I was legitimately
going to sell it to him...and he did and took possession of the item. About a
week later, both our accounts were suspended, eBay said they found
similarities in our accounts and we were under investigation. I got my account
reactivated, but it took weeks of letters and hard work convincing them that
he did in fact buy the item from me. Plus this guy selling it would have sold
it to me outside of the auction....if I had agreed to the price, and one day
1....

I think my reason for addressing the list with this was simply that if the
buyers are listening, that I kinda feel sorry for them for getting wound up
like this....and that I encourage them to not fall into that auction
mentality...because it seems really.....shallow to me, without trying to be
too judgmental. I basically want to talk them out of it....but yet I
shouldn't. Let them do what they want. And from the seller's perspective, I'll
bet that most of us wouldn't mind if something got overbid....we wouldn't turn
it down...right?

Subject: Ebay Madness

"WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY FULL VALUE OR MORE THAN FULL
VALUE for a used part when the new one is available, with receipt and warrant
and has almost no wait time!!!! I truly do not understand...."

This happens all the time with traction bars, water pumps, you name it.  A
couple of weeks ago, I bid on a LAT hood that had sitting in  a garage for
years  It sold for the retail price.  A couple of times I have emailed some of
the bidders who finished second and they are clueless that these things are
available.  I think part of it is bidding fever.  They get all hyped up and no
one will out bid them, by God!

On another note, I get suspicious with auctions that have hidden bidders.  I
always wonder if the guy selling is not putting in a few bids of their own to
jack up the price.  The is no way to tell if you don't know who you are
bidding against.

                                  Jeff