Re: [Tigers] Ebay Madness

To: Paul Memont <prmnes@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ebay Madness
From: Chris Thompson <chris@cthompson.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 09:34:39 -0400
Actually the key to E-bay's success is their "sealed bid" process, where
you put in the maximum you are willing to pay, yet at the end of the
auction you pay only 2% or whatever more than the second highest
bidder.  Countless academics with too much time on their hands study
these things, and this method is consistently shown to get people to bid
the most - much more than can be attained by a "live" auction.

And it's shown time and again by E-bay neophytes who sit and watch an
auction for the last few minutes and try to get the last bid in and
always lose to the person who just put in the highest price they are
willing to pay and then wait to get the e-mail to tell them if they won
or not, and how much they are paying.....

Like they say, knowledge is power.  Within a few weeks of me scanning
the Tiger parts manual and putting it up on TigersUnited, some joker
downloaded it, burned it on a CD, and started selling it on E-bay for
$25, and has been for the past several years.  I wonder just how many of
these he's sold - what anybody in the world who can get on E-bay can
actually get for free.  I suspect quite a few.....

Chris
BB382000331