Re: [Tigers] Rear End Gears

To: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear End Gears
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:56:55 -0600
In my experience setting up Toyota diffs (they have a removable 3rd
member like the Ford 9 inch etc.), removing the ring gear assembly (to
install a LSD on the existing gearset) doesn't require you to re-set the
pinion depth, and all that you really have to do is to get the backlash
set correctly using the side-adjustment and you'll have the right
pattern, assuming the gears were good to begin with. The side to side
adjustment is done with screw-in preload adjusters and it's a very
straightforward procedure.

On the Toyota diff, setting the pinion depth has to be done with
spacers, a crushable sleeve between the front and rear pinion bearings,
and a press to get the gears on and off. When I did mine, I used a brake
cylinder hone to enlarge the old pinion bearing ID so that it was a very
light press fit on the new pinion shaft, and then figured out the right
spacer combination. Final assembly then involved pressing on the new
pinion bearing, crushing the sleeve to get the right pinion preload, and
THEN setting up the backlash to get the gear pattern right. It worked
OK, but I was able to do all that with the whole assembly mounted in a
vise on the workbench. Having to spread the axle housing to get the ring
gear assembly in and out every time (and possibly having the rear axle
housing still under the car) would significantly increase the hassle
factor.

Theo